NOTICE: As of September 21, 2005, the fines for Borough parking tickets was raised to $25.00. The fine for illegally parking in spaces designated for handicapped persons and disabled veterans will remain at $50.00.
The police department is empowered by both Borough Ordinance and the Commonwealth Motor Vehicle Code to issue parking tickets for various parking violations. Some of these include, but are not limited to:
- Overtime parking in posted timed parking zones
- Parking in posted fire lanes
- Parking in prohibited area
- Double parking
- Parking against traffic
- Parking or leaving unattended vehicle on private property without the consent of the owner
- Parking at a fire hydrant
- Parking within or too close to an intersection
- Parking in a crosswalk
- Parking on a sidewalk
- Parking in front of a private driveway
- Parking on the driveway entrance to or on the side of the street opposite the entrance to any fire station where posted
- Parking in spaces designated for handicapped persons and disabled veterans.
A parking ticket must be paid within 5 days of the issue date to the Police Department. Payment can be mailed in the mailer or paid in person at the police department. Failure to pay the parking ticket within 5 days will result in the issuance of a traffic citation by District Court 23-02-2. In this case the cost of the fine will increase by $48.50 ($38.50 court costs and $10.00 judicial computer system fee) to total of $73.50 based on a $25.00 parking ticket, or $98.50 for a $50.00 parking ticket.
If you receive a parking ticket, the only officer that can discuss this issue with you is the ISSUING officer. No other officer, including the Police Chief, can take action on your behalf. If you wish to contest the ticket, you may do so by not paying the original parking ticket. After the 5 days, the state citation will be issued and mailed to you. At that point you need to follow the instructions on the state citation for pleading “not guilty”. Please keep in mind that the costs will automatically go up to the totals above.